What can we help you with?

If you are reporting a problem with a product please retain both the product and the packaging. This will help us process your enquiry and may be required if we need to investigate a complaint.  You can contact our friendly Care team by phone (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm), by post or by using the form on this page – details below.

You can also find lots of information on allergens, packaging, sustainability, lifestyle and entering our competitions on our Frequently Asked Questions page.

Got a problem or query?

Let us know by completing our Contact Us form on the leftabove and we'll get back to you to help.

(Don't worry, your details will only be used to resolve your complaint or query - see our Privacy Policy)

However, if you would prefer to talk to us then call

0800 917 4494

and one of our helpful Care Team will be pleased to help.

Or, if you'd rather, please write to us at…

Freepost KP Snacks

(From outside the UK the address is:
Consumer Care, KP Snacks, Ashby de la Zouch, LE65 2BS, UK)